Mystery and adventure are two of the key elements that make the tales in the book of 'One Thousand and One Nights' irresistible. One of these Arabic tales is the story of Aladdin, a poor young boy who is led by a wicked sorcerer to a magic lamp, thus changing his life forever. No wonder Aladdin has become a beloved character over the years.
Great Aladdin Costume Ideas
This Arabic hero began as a penniless young man, dressed in a vest, baggy patched trousers, and a type of hat called a fez. He practically led a pointless existence, until he came across the magic lamp, and his most fervent wishes were granted. When he turned into a prince, naturally, he went through a major costume transformation. Instead of being shirtless under his vest, he now sports a shimmery satin outfit with gold accents, a royal turban adorned by a feather and a sparkling, precious gem, and gold pointy shoes. He also has a detachable satin cape which is perfect for providing dramatic effect once he is on horseback. This gives you two choices when dressing up in an Aladdin costume.
What You Need For an Aladdin Costume
For pre-lamp era Aladdin:
- a simple purple vest, no print or decorations necessary, the older-looking the better
- light-colored baggy trousers with garter or drawstring at the hem for authentic-looking Arabic pants
- patches for the pants to give a distressed, poverty-stricken feel
- plain red scarf or cloth for Aladdin's waistband
- a matching red fez or any hat shaped like a fez
For lamp-era Aladdin:
- a loose satin top with long bouffant sleeves, preferably with gold trim
- matching baggy Arabic trousers
- a gold waistband along with gold shoulder and torso accents
- matching gold pointy royal shoes
- royal turban in the same color as the top and pants, complete with purple feather and a ruby red gemstone
- matching satiny cape, preferably detachable
These great costume ideas will make your Aladdin costume loads of fun and full of character. The choices given make it possible for you to decide which persona you can best project, so that you may look your best and most convincing Aladdin yet.