You don't need to wait for Halloween to rock a hippie costume. If you've got that flower power running thick in your veins, and are all peace-love human being, you can most definitely flaunt your style with a few simple twists in your wardrobe. In fact, you and your friends could spice up what is otherwise a regular weekend get-together by putting on hippie costumes.
Hippies are most commonly affiliated with the eras of the 1960's and the 1970's. People from these periods were known not only for their anti-war sentiments, but also for their outrageous hairdos, and even more outrageous outfits. It shouldn't be too difficult to have a blast from the past in today's fashion world, what with all the vintage outlets out there in the market. If you are the thrifty kind of fashionista, the key to being hippie just might be in your very closet. There are many other options for you to choose from, be it a Sonny costume for men, or a vintage Cher for women. Check out the list of costume ideas that will turn you into a true-blue hippie for a day.
What You Would Need For A Hippie Costume (For Men):
- Bell-bottom pants (If you are confident enough, you can carry the flower power look, too)
- Basic cotton or tie-dyed shirt (belt optional)
- Printed or floral designed vest
- Headband wrapped around the forehead
- Lens-colored shades
What You Would Need For A Hippie Costume (For Women):
- Two-toned short dress for that Mod look, paired with knee-high boots
- Bell-bottom or flared pants (the more shocking the color, the better)
- Tie-dyed shirts and cotton vests
- Headband or big flowers for hair accessories
The things you'll need are fairly simple to find. If you want to add a touch of character to your outfit over and above your tie-dyed shirts, then you can even cut out fringes on your vests. Whichever look you go for, just remember to also put on the hippie attitude of being totally cool and chilled out.